2.08.2013


So a while back, Jamie posted on Twitter (I think) that she was going to be trying this soup for dinner that night. And then, coincidentally, THIS soup popped up in my reader. And from then on, I had garlicky, starchy, green, bean-y, tomato-y soup on my brain and it WOULDN'T LET GO. But when I scavenged my pantry, I had a handful of ingredients from each recipe. So what's a good improviser to do? 

HYBRID SOUP. 

Since I made it, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. It's so effing garlicky and rosemary-y and delicious. So I made it again. And now I'm going to share it. Because it's awesome. 

Here's the recipe:

Hybrid Soup
(adapted from My New Roots and Food 52)

For the soup:
1 large white onion, sliced thinly into half moons
5-6 cloves garlic, minced (I use my microplane zester because it yields smoother results and it's a LOT faster)
2-3 bigger white potatoes, diced (or one large baking potato)
1 can diced tomatoes (either plain or fire roasted - no other funny flavors)
32 oz. (1 box) veggie stock (or chicken stock)
2 cans water
1 tomato boullion cube
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed (you can use butter beans, cannelini, navy beans... whatever you have on hand)
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon paprika (the smokier the better)
1 large sprig rosemary (about 6 inches), washed and tossed in whole 
Hefty glug of balsamic (about 4 tablespoons)

Garnishes:
Baby kale (or other greens of choice)
Cheese (grated Parmesan or Gruyere is killer, but in a pinch, mozzarella will do) (optional)
Bread (we originally served it with super garlicky bread - as in, whole cloves in the loaf. Slice it thin, butter it, and toast it for a killer crouton-type situation.)

In a soup pot or Dutch oven, saute onions and minced garlic together until soft.
Add potatoes. Let cook a few minutes. Add canned tomatoes. Stir and cook until heated through.
Add stock, water, bouillon, sliced garlic, beans, bay leaves, and paprika. Let simmer slowly until potatoes are cooked through (about 30 minutes).
Remove bay leaves.
Add rosemary and balsamic. Let simmer slowly for 20 minutes. 
Remove rosemary and serve.

Add kale/greens to the bottom of each bowl. Top with soup. Sprinkle with cheese (if desired). Serve with toast/croutons.

Eat with other people, because you'll be deliciously stinky.


images via here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment